Sunday, February 20, 2011

On the lost Art of memorization...

 "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deut 11:18-19
When was the last time you memorized a passage of scripture that was more than several verses? An entire book or scripture? A few years ago, a mentor of mine suggested that we all begin memorizing an entire book of scripture together. None of us took it as seriously as we should have, and very few were able to memorize more than a chapter at a time. If you've ever tried to recite a book of scripture from memory, you know it's fairly difficult.

Last year when I was traveling in Asia, I met a man who explained to us several of his primary problems with Christians. He said that a truly devoted follower of Islam will memorize the Qu'ran word for word. (before he even begins to interpret or understand it) Not only do they read through every part of their scripture, they commit it to memory over a period of years. I have never known or heard of a single believer who has done that. Granted, our 66 books are a bit longer than theirs...and we are unable to recite the words of our Holy book in a song-like chant that aids memory as others do. We place an understanding of the message in Scripture far above the memorization of all of it, as is certainly appropriate. Yet I think we can learn something from the devout Muslim- God's words deserve to be memorized. In fact, they must be memorized. It's a command given to the Jews in Deuteronomy (and also to us)- that the words of God revealed in His word must be so important that they are literally bound to us. They are with us all the time, and we are to teach them to others and talk about them constantly.

 Whenever I performed as a kid, I memorized hundreds of lines, stage directions, notes, song phrases and breathing patterns. I devoted hours each week to perfecting the meticulous memorization so that my performance would be excellent. Although I am no longer a performer, the same devotion I once exercised on stage must be given to hiding the words of scripture in my heart. May God grant me the strength and willpower to overcome my own laziness and know His word in such a way that it is fixed continually in my mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment